Why You Can’t Join Your Friend in Elden Ring: Troubleshooting Tips and Solutions
Elden Ring is the highly-anticipated action role-playing game developed by FromSoftware in collaboration with the acclaimed author, George R. R. Martin. The game is expected to feature a vast open-world, challenging gameplay mechanics, and an immersive multiplayer experience. As a fan of the Soulsborne series and online play, you might be looking forward to playing Elden Ring with your friends. However, you may face some issues joining or connecting to their game, which can be frustrating and confusing. In this article, we’ll explore the reasons why you can’t join your friend in Elden Ring and provide you with some troubleshooting tips and solutions.
Reasons Why You Can’t Join Your Friend in Elden Ring
Before we dive into the solutions, let’s identify the reasons why you might be having trouble joining your friend in Elden Ring. Here are some of the common issues:
1. Different Game Versions: If you and your friend have different versions of Elden Ring, you won’t be able to join their game. Make sure that both of you have the same game version, and if there are any updates, install them before playing.
2. Firewall or Antivirus Issues: Your firewall or antivirus software can also prevent you from connecting to your friend’s game. Disable them temporarily or add an exception for the game in your settings.
3. NAT Type: Network Address Translation (NAT) type determines how your device communicates with other devices on the internet. If both you and your friend have a strict NAT type, you won’t be able to join each other’s game. Try to switch to an open or moderate NAT type, which you can do by forwarding ports, enabling UPnP, or using a VPN.
4. Server Issues: Elden Ring’s servers may not be functioning properly, which can prevent you from joining your friend’s game. Check the game’s official website or social media pages for any announcements about server maintenance or downtime.
Troubleshooting Tips and Solutions
Now that you know the possible reasons why you can’t join your friend in Elden Ring, let’s explore some troubleshooting tips and solutions.
1. Check Your Game Version and Settings: Make sure that you and your friend have the same game version, and check your game settings to ensure that matchmaking settings are set correctly.
2. Disable Firewall and Antivirus: Temporarily disable your firewall or antivirus software before playing, or add an exception for the game in your settings. You can also try to launch the game as an administrator.
3. Switch NAT Type: Forward the necessary ports on your router, enable UPnP, or use a VPN to switch to an open or moderate NAT type. You can find detailed guides on the internet for each method.
4. Test Your Connection: Use an online speed test tool to check your internet connection’s speed and latency. If you have a slow or unstable connection, it could be the reason why you can’t join your friend’s game.
5. Wait for Server Maintenance: If the game’s servers are down or undergoing maintenance, you won’t be able to connect to your friend’s game. Check the game’s official website or social media pages for any announcements.
Elden Ring is an exciting game that promises to deliver an immersive multiplayer experience. However, joining your friend’s game can be a challenging task due to various reasons such as different game versions, firewall or antivirus issues, NAT type, or server issues. By following the troubleshooting tips and solutions provided in this article, you will be able to overcome these issues and play Elden Ring with your friend. Remember to check your game version and settings, disable firewall and antivirus, switch NAT type, test your connection, and wait for server maintenance. Happy gaming!
1. Can I play Elden Ring with my friend on different platforms?
No, Elden Ring is only available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and PC. You can only play with your friend if you have the game on the same platform.
2. How do I find my NAT type on my console or PC?
Go to your console or PC’s network settings and look for the NAT type. You may need to run a network test to get accurate results.
3. Do I need a VPN to switch NAT type?
Not necessarily. Most routers have an option to enable UPnP or port forwarding, which can help you switch NAT type. However, if these methods don’t work, you can use a VPN as a last resort.
4. How do I forward ports on my router?
Each router has a different interface, so you’ll need to refer to your router’s manual or look up online tutorials specific to your router model.
5. Why does Elden Ring keep disconnecting during online play?
There could be several reasons for this, such as a poor internet connection, NAT type issues, or server issues. Try the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this article to fix the issue.