Why Am I Unable to Join My Friend in Elden Ring? Common Reasons and Solutions
If you are a fan of FromSoftware’s dark fantasy action role-playing games, you may be eagerly anticipating the release of Elden Ring, a new collaborative project between the creator of the Soulsborne series, Hidetaka Miyazaki, and the author of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R. R. Martin. As with previous titles like Bloodborne and Dark Souls, Elden Ring promises to offer challenging gameplay, intricate lore, and haunting atmosphere, as well as online multiplayer that allows you to connect with other players around the world. However, you may find that you are unable to join your friend in Elden Ring due to various technical, social, or personal reasons. In this article, we will explore some of the common causes of this issue and suggest some solutions that could help you overcome them.
Reason 1: Platform mismatch
The first thing to check is whether you and your friend are playing on the same platform. Elden Ring will be available on multiple platforms, including PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. If you are on different platforms, you won’t be able to join each other’s games directly. Therefore, you need to make sure that you both have the same version of the game on the same platform. If you are not sure about which version or platform your friend is using, you can ask them or check their profile or game library on the respective platform.
Solution 1: Buy or borrow the same platform
If you discover that you and your friend are playing on different platforms, you can either buy or borrow the same platform and game to join them. Some platforms support crossplay or cross-generation, which means that players on different platforms or generations can play together. However, it is not yet clear whether Elden Ring will have crossplay or cross-generation support, so you may want to confirm this before making a decision. Keep in mind that different platforms may have different pricing, release dates, hardware requirements, and performance capabilities, so you should choose the one that suits your budget, preference, and system.
Reason 2: Connection problem
Another reason why you may not be able to join your friend in Elden Ring is that you have a connection problem. Online multiplayer games require stable and fast internet connections to work properly. If you have a weak, fluctuating, or disrupted internet connection, you may experience lag, delay, or disconnection when trying to connect to other players. This can be frustrating and affect your gaming experience. Additionally, some players may have strict or limited NAT settings that prevent them from connecting to other players who have different NAT settings.
Solution 2: Improve your connection and NAT settings
To improve your connection and NAT settings, you can try the following tips:
– Use a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi if possible, as wired connections tend to be more stable and faster.
– Close other programs or devices that may be using internet bandwidth, such as downloads, streaming, or browsing.
– Reset your modem or router to refresh the connection and clear any cache or configuration issues.
– Check your NAT type on your platform’s network settings and see if you can change it to Open or Moderate instead of Strict. You may need to consult your platform’s support or look up online guides for specific instructions.
– Contact your internet service provider (ISP) if you encounter persistent or severe connection issues that cannot be resolved by these methods.
Reason 3: Game progress disparity
A less technical but more social reason why you may be unable to join your friend in Elden Ring is that you have a game progress disparity. When playing an online multiplayer game, you and your friend may have different levels, stats, weapons, and story progression. If there is a significant gap between your progress, you may not be able to join each other’s games without either overleveling or underleveling the content, which can spoil the fun for both of you.
Solution 3: Sync your game progress and play together
To sync your game progress and play together, you can try the following ideas:
– Coordinate your playing time and pace, so that you both progress through the game at roughly the same speed and reach the same checkpoints or objectives.
– Share your gear, knowledge, and experience with each other, so that you can learn from each other’s strengths and weaknesses and complement each other’s playstyles.
– Use a password system, if available, that allows you to bypass level or progress requirements and summon each other to specific spots in the game world.
– Start a new character or playthrough together, so that you both start from the same scratch and have a similar challenge level and immersion.
Joining your friend in Elden Ring can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience, but it may also present some obstacles and frustrations. By understanding the common reasons why you may be unable to join your friend and applying the corresponding solutions, you can overcome these obstacles and enhance your gaming experience. Whether you need to buy the same platform, improve your connection, or sync your progress, remember that the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the game with your friend.
1. Can Elden Ring be played offline?
No, Elden Ring is primarily an online multiplayer game that requires an internet connection to access most of its features, such as matchmaking, co-op, and invasion.
2. Can Elden Ring be played solo?
Yes, Elden Ring can be played solo, but you may find some parts of the game more challenging or inaccessible without the help or hindrance of other players.
3. When will Elden Ring be released?
Elden Ring is scheduled to be released on February 25, 2022, for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
4. How many players can join a game in Elden Ring?
The exact number of players who can join a game in Elden Ring is not yet confirmed, but it is expected to be similar to previous FromSoftware games, which can range from 2 to 6 players depending on the mode and area.
5. Does Elden Ring have any PvP mode?
Yes, Elden Ring has a PvP (player vs player) mode that allows players to invade or summon each other for duels or battles.