Troubleshooting Elden Ring: Why You’re Unable to Join Your Friend
Elden Ring is one of the most eagerly anticipated games of 2022, and fans of the franchise can’t wait to dive into its immense world. One of the most exciting features of the game is the multiplayer mode, which allows players to join forces with their friends to conquer challenging bosses and explore the game’s vast landscape. However, some players have reported experiencing issues when trying to join their friends in Elden Ring. In this article, we will explore some of the most common problems that players face when trying to initiate multiplayer in Elden Ring and provide troubleshooting tips to help you get your game back on track.
Why Can’t You Join Your Friend in Elden Ring?
There are several reasons why you may be unable to join your friend in Elden Ring. Some of the most common issues include:
1. Connectivity issues: Elden Ring relies on a stable internet connection to run smoothly. If you’re experiencing network-related problems, such as lag or disconnections, you may be unable to join your friend in the game.
2. Platform compatibility: Elden Ring is available on multiple platforms, including PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. If you and your friend are on different platforms, you won’t be able to play together.
3. Game version mismatch: Elden Ring is frequently updated with bug fixes and new content. If you and your friend are playing different versions of the game, you may encounter compatibility issues when trying to join each other’s game.
4. NAT settings: Network Address Translation (NAT) is a feature that allows devices on a local network to share a single IP address. If your NAT settings are configured improperly, you may have trouble connecting to other players in Elden Ring.
5. Firewall settings: If you have a firewall enabled on your computer or router, it may be blocking Elden Ring’s network traffic, preventing you from joining your friend.
With these common Elden Ring multiplayer issues in mind, let’s explore some tips to help you troubleshoot and fix the problem.
1. Check Your Connectivity
As we mentioned earlier, Elden Ring’s multiplayer mode relies on a stable internet connection. If you’re experiencing lag, disconnections, or other network issues, you may be unable to join your friend in the game. To troubleshoot connectivity issues, try the following:
– Check your internet connection speed: make sure your internet connection is fast enough to support online gaming. Speedtest.net is a great tool for checking internet speed.
– Reset your router: Power cycle your router by unplugging it for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
– Try a wired connection: If you’re experiencing wireless network issues, try connecting your device to the router via ethernet cable.
– Change your DNS settings: By altering your DNS settings, you could enable faster and more stable internet connectivity.
2. Ensure Platform Compatibility
Elden Ring is available on multiple platforms, and you need to ensure compatibility with your friend’s device. Whether your friend is on a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC, check if you both have the same version of the game and if there are any compatibility issues.
3. Verify Game Version
Elden Ring is frequently updated with new content and patches, and you and your friend might be playing different versions of the game, which can cause compatibility problems. Verify the game version with your friend before trying to join their game.
4. Adjust NAT Settings
If your NAT settings are configured improperly, you may have trouble connecting to other players in Elden Ring. Check your NAT settings and change them to “open” for improved connectivity.
5. Check Firewall Settings
If you have a firewall enabled on your device, it might be blocking Elden Ring’s network traffic, preventing you from joining your friend. Check your firewall settings and allow the required network traffic for Elden Ring.
Playing Elden Ring’s multiplayer mode with friends is an exhilarating experience; however, some common issues may prevent you from joining. We have shared some basic troubleshooting tips to help you fix the problems you’re encountering when trying to join your friend in Elden Ring. Always ensure compatibility, check your connectivity, verify your game version, and adjust your NAT and firewall settings. By following these steps, you can get back to playing Elden Ring with your friends in no time.
1. Can I play Elden Ring with my friends on different platforms?
Unfortunately, no. Elden Ring’s multiplayer mode is platform-specific, meaning that you can only play with friends on the same platform as you.
2. What do I do if my game version does not match my friend’s?
Verify your game version and update to the latest version available to enjoy seamless multiplayer with your friends.
3. How do I check my NAT settings?
You can check your NAT settings by logging into your router’s admin panel and looking for NAT settings in the network tab.
4. How do I allow Elden Ring’s network traffic through my firewall?
You can allow specific ports and protocols for Elden Ring by adding them to your firewall’s inbound and outbound rules.
5. Is a stable internet connection essential for playing Elden Ring’s multiplayer mode?
Yes, Elden Ring’s multiplayer mode relies on a stable internet connection. Ensure that your internet connection is fast enough and stable enough to meet the requirements.