Challenge Accepted: Why Won’t Your Pokemon Obey You and How to Fix It
You’ve caught them all, trained them well, and yet your Pokemon still won’t listen to you. It’s a frustrating experience for any trainer who wants to be the very best. But fear not! In this article, we’ll explore why your Pokemon might not be obeying you and provide you with tips on how to fix it.
Understanding the Basics: Pokemon Loyalty and Obedience
Before we dive into the reasons behind Pokemon disobedience, it’s essential to understand the two underlying concepts: loyalty and obedience. Pokemon loyalty refers to how much your Pokemon likes and respects you as its trainer. It moves from 0 to 255 and resets every time you release it or trade it to another player. The higher the loyalty, the better the performance of your Pokemon in battles and its willingness to follow your commands.
On the other hand, Pokemon obedience refers to the level of control that you as the trainer have over your Pokemon. According to the game mechanics, each Pokemon has a default obedience level based on your player character’s badges. For instance, a level 30 Pokemon will obey you up to level 30 if you have defeated the first gym leader, while a level 50 Pokemon will only obey you up to level 50 if you have conquered the fifth gym leader.
Why Do Pokemon Become Disobedient?
Various reasons can make your Pokemon disobedient, and the most common ones include:
1. Newly Caught Pokemon: A newly caught Pokemon won’t obey your commands unless its loyalty level is high enough. This means that you’ll have to increase its loyalty by battling other Pokemon and winning battles together, feeding it regularly, and using items like the Soothe Bell or EV berries.
2. Over-leveling your Pokemon: Over-leveling your Pokemon refers to deliberately leveling up your Pokemon beyond its obedience level. For example, if you have a level 60 Pokemon in the first gym, it won’t listen to you, and you’ll need to have fewer badges.
3. Trading Pokemon: Trading a Pokemon with another player will reset its loyalty level, and you’ll have to start from scratch.
4. Neglecting your Pokemon: If you neglect your Pokemon, its loyalty level will decrease, and it won’t obey your commands. Sounds reasonable, doesn’t it? Would you perform well for someone who doesn’t care about you?
5. Using Certain Items: Using some items like the Everstone may prevent your Pokemon from evolving, but they also decrease their obedience level with every attempt.
How to Fix Pokemon Disobedience?
Now that you know why your Pokemon might be disobeying you, it’s time to learn how to fix it. The following tips should ensure that your Pokemon obey your every command:
1. Boost Loyalty: As mentioned earlier, boost your Pokemon’s loyalty by taking care of it, winning battles together, feeding it regularly, and using the Soothe Bell or EV berries.
2. Fight Trainers with Lower-Level Pokemon: Fight trainers with lower-level Pokemon to improve obedience. If you have a level 50 Pokemon, fighting a level 10 trainer will increase its obedience level.
3. Use Gym Badges: Ensure to get more gym badges to level up your Pokemon obedience rate.
4. Use Items that Increase Happiness: Some items can increase your Pokemon’s happiness, such as the Luxury Ball Pokéball, which increases the rate of happiness growth.
5. Train and Bonds with your Pokemon: Train and bond with your Pokemon to increase their loyalty and obedience levels with the gentle methods.
Disobedient Pokemon are more frustrating than actual life disobedient pets. However, by boosting your Pokemon’s loyalty, avoiding over-leveling, trading carefully, using specific items, and training continuously with your Pokemon would make your disobedient Pokemon loyal in no time.
1. What is the difference between loyalty and obedience in Pokemon?
Loyalty is how much your Pokemon likes and respects you as its trainer, and obedience is the level of control you as the trainer have over your Pokemon.
2. Why won’t my newly caught Pokemon obey me?
A newly caught Pokemon won’t obey your commands unless its loyalty level is high enough.
3. Can I fix a Pokemon’s disobedience?
Yes, you can fix Pokemon disobedience by boosting loyalty, battling lower-level trainers, using gym badges, using items, and training with your Pokemon.
4. Are there any items that improve Pokemon happiness?
Yes, several items increase your Pokemon’s happiness, including the Luxury Ball Pokeball.
5. Why does trading Pokemon affect their obedience?
Trading a Pokemon with another player resets its loyalty level, causing it to start from scratch.